Re: fence policy?
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jimsghotmail.com)
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 13:17:51 -0500
New View (Acton MA) has no fence policy, but also (at this point) has no
fences. We are on a complex sloped site, and each household has some
exclusive use areas  in front and back, but some of our pedestrain
traffic flow would get very cramped if lots of households had fences. We
do have a generic policy of (roughly) "Notify everyone if you are
planning to make an external change, so neighbors or committees can work
it out with you if they have concerns".

We have two 'invisible' fences around houses to keep in dogs: the kind
that train a dog to expect a jolt if they step over a buried wire.

I agree that people have learned to respect the land around people's
houses as semi-private zones, but we are still refining our
understanding: just last weekend I had a good if incomplete conversation
about how they experince me and others passing through a backyard area
they share with some neighbors.