RE: Sharing Circles
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousclassic.msn.com)
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 20:00:30 -0500
Sharing circles are simply a tool, and like any tool, its use can be modified
to meet your needs, at least to some extent. I would encourage you to hold
guiding sharing circles and include newcomers and visitors. Make the topics
interesting (in a guiding sharing, the guide suggests the topic) stuff like, I
want Liberty Village to be a place where ________, or my favorite relative, a
story from my childhood - topics where people share their histories, their
hopes and dreams. This is very bonding stuff, this sharing, and very few
opportunities arise in most peoples lives to share this in an intimate
setting. I was a visitor at a fancy retreat center in Hawaii once, and people
paid $2,000 each to spend the weekend having sharing circles!

I would advise to keep sharing circles for dealing with feelings about
community issues somewhat closed to committed members to encourage safety. How
you define committed members is up to you. I have not much experience with
Sharing Circles in forming communities. I stole the notion from already
existing communities, thus the dichotomy of whose in and whose not is much
clearer.  The idea works both ways, people may not open up with first timers
watching for fear of scaring them away, and if they do, they in fact may scare
new people away.

You can open them up if you wish but pay attention to how people react. It
would be a good idea to start with them closed for the first few times just to
have a sense of what they are like before opening them up, so you have
something to compare to.

But. as always, feel free to ignore me and experiment. Each group gets its own
mileage out of these tools.

Rob Sandelin