Re: PARKING SPACES
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 14:28:48 -0500
RoseWind Cohousing in Port Townsend WA was required by City rules to
provide for each home 2 parking places "on street" and two "on site"
meaning on the individual building lot.

The usual City rule requiring an eight-foot wide parking strip along the
edge of the streets (as a way to satisfy the first requirement) was
waived in allowing us to have a number of parking "bays" instead, but we
still had to supply a map with numbered places showing that we had two
on-street (or on bay) slots for each unit.

If we build some multifamily housing, the requirement is 1.5 slots per
family, not two.

In fact, these numbers, though they seemed excessive at first, have
proved pretty accurate. A family that normally has one or two cars can
find itself with more, with visitors, roomates, renters, changing cars
and not having sold the old one yet, boats, RVs, work vehicles like
pick-up trucks.

Some places create a special area for campers, RVs, boats, etc which are
not used daily and are large.
Typically this is a bit out of sight. We don't have that, but have
several such items which would use it if we had it.

A parking place needn't be paved or even gravelled to be functional,
especially for overflow numbers. Some of our homes showed two on-lot
parking places on their plans, but left them in grass, and rarely put
cars there.