RE: Through the looking glass #2
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousclassic.msn.com)
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 21:07:49 -0500
Moving into cohousing is a major life transition for everyone involved. Most
people will have had little to no experience living in a close community of
neighbors, and will have expectations about it, some that will turn out to be
unrealistic.

There is a adjustment phenomena that I have heard in so many groups, and
watched in all my neighbors, that I believe it approaches universality. I call
it the cohousing bump of acceptance. What happens in most everybody is that
somewhere in your life as a cohouser, you get into some unhappy encounter, or
you see things you can't fix, or whatever and you go through your head and
say.....I don't think I can live like this.

Most folks survive this, some don't and move out. Its normal. If you thought
creating cohousing was a challenge just wait until your group talks about some
gut wrenching living together issue, like kid behavior, sex, pets, privacy,
guns, safety, strangers, etc.  You may not be able to resolve all these
issues, should they come up. This too is pretty normal.

One thing that occurs in cohousing is that if your group is lucky, you will
get some honest and direct feedback about things. This may be the first time
in your life this occurs and it can be scary and annoying. Most people never
really hear honest feedback about their kids for example. Teachers don't,
grandparents? Not likely, other parents? Not usually. So if your little
darling is causing problems, you will hear about it. If you don't, I would be
worried about your group if I were you. When people live in a community and
don't honestly give each other information and feedback it usually results in
a significant conflict/crisis later.

Cohousing reality lies somewhere between the potential and the glitches. Don't
lose sight of the potential when you get tripped up in the glitches. Remember
that relationships and people things can be changed. Eventually.

Rob Sandelin
Coming up on 9 years in cohousing