Re: Shared Utilities
From: Rowena Conkling (rowenacworldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 09:45:03 -0500
Cambridge Coho started off with the same plan: buy wholesale,
individually meter each unit and charge for unit use and common
house use through association fees.  However, our local building
inspector (the 800 pound gorilla!) insisted that this was illegal and
that we either had to have a single meter or separate service to each
unit.  So, we now have 41 meters stacked in our basement and are still
in the throes of figuring out how to divide up the costs. Right now, six
months later, all costs are assigned based on square footage, and there
is no question that we have a favorable rate because we wholesale it.
This is important in a part of the coutry with the highest utility
rates.  Meanwhile, the mathematicians, economists, computer experts and
simply opinionated among us, are developing some kind of spread sheet
which will supposedly produce a more equitable division.   They will
then have to pursuade the sceptics among us to accept it!   Oh, the joys
of moving in!

If people cannot be pursuaded of the equity of division we may have to
install the meters down the line and fight the inspector.

Interestingly enough there seems to be no corrolation between the desire
for iondividual meters and the likelihood that the unit owner is being
overcharged.  For instance, single people in relatively large units are
presently being overcharged by the square footage system but are not
among the strongest proponents of metering.  Go figure!

Rowenac
CambridgeCoho