RE: Shared Utilities: the fallacy of fair
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousclassic.msn.com)
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 21:06:59 -0500
One of the most persistant fallacies in many groups, in my opinion, is that
"things have to be equal or it's not fair". This is especially prevalant in
work situations, where "everybody does their fair share".  There are folks who
will spend a lot of their time trying to figure out how to make things "fair".
I tend to smile and endulge these people in their fantasies, while trying
gently to point out that there is really no such thing.

My experience teaches me that in a working community setting, individual
contributions all even out over time. Somebody who has no interest and is
uninvolved in the water system planning is just the perfect person to teach
the kids how to read.

Fairness is not everyone paying or working equal, but lays in another
direction. In a working community, people see where the spikes of
overcommitment are and adjust accordingly. When it works really well, people
know who in the group tends to over commit and then burn out, and then you
quietly work to reduce that persons load so they don't even notice - it just
works, and they, and you, are both happy.

Rob Sandelin
feeling philosophical after spending the morning in the woods with most of the
Sharingwood Community and enjoying the gifts that each person shared.