RE: Waiting lists
From: lilbert (lilbertconcentric.net)
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 11:42:54 -0500
It just occurred to me that something may be missing here that I forgot
to mention.   This message is for anyone who is trying to attract more
people.   Is it a requirement that all members of your group be
"attached" to a house?  With Southside Park we had members who didn't
have a unit right up to a few months before move-in!  I myself changed
units twice. If our group had not been flexible about this, there would
be valuable members who would never have joined.  At one point after I
joined, (4 months before move in), we had something like four families
who didn't fit in with the units we had for sale!  If your concentration
is on homebuying instead of community building, I could see why some
people would be jittery.  I'm not saying leave it to the last minute-
these were problems for us, not a devil-may-care attitude problem.  But
the people were more important than the houses, and lo and behold, it
worked out; I firmly believe because the community came first, not the
houses.  You might consider having a category of membership where the
people don't have to have a unit slated for them. I can't imagine how we
would have done this any other way.  Obviously, there are limitations to
this, but do keep an open mind.

Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing