Unrelated People Buying a House
From: Becky Schaller (bschallertheriver.com)
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 23:00:58 -0500
This listserve has been so helpful in helping me to learn from the
experiences of others as we build our cohousing community.  This
evening I have yet another question.

I've been thinking about buying a house with another person or a family
who is not related to me.  If I were to do this, I would want to make
sure that we entered into this arrangement with a sound business
agreement.  I'm writing to find out if others have done this and what
kind of business arrangement you had.

If one party wanted to sell, what were the arrangements?  If one party
became unable to pay their part of the mortgage, was there any
protection for the other party?  Do banks give out two separate and
independent mortgages for such arrangements or do you need to get one
mortage together?

If anyone who knows about this or has had experiences with this could
let me know what you think would be helpful for me to know, I would
appreciate hearing from you.

Becky Schaller
Sonora Cohousing (formerly TNDC)
Tucson, AZ
We're building 36 private units on 4.7 acres of land in central Tucson.
We'll be near bike routes, bus routes, car routes, parks, shopping, the
University of Arizona, and a beautiful new library.  In the last ten
months, we've had 20 households become invested members. If you think
you might want to join, now's the time.   Our website is
http://www.igc.apc.org/tndc/