Sustainable Connections/Bellingham Coho Mtng. 9/27; Natural Step
From: Steve Habib Rose (habibthegarden.net)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:38:55 -0600 (MDT)
For more Information about Sustainable Connections:
http://www.sustainableconnections.org

From: Chris Webb  <chris [at] 2020engineering.com>
To: mark [at] 2020engineering.com
Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: Sustainable Connections Meeting 9/27

PLEASE JOIN US FOR A MEETING OF:

SUSTAINABLE CONNECTIONS PROMOTING THE ECOLOGY OF OUR ECONOMY

This will be a join meeting with the Bellingham Cohousing Group.

Cohousing Slide Show with Charles Durrett
Monday September 27, 1999, 7 PM
Harbor Center Convention Room

Charles Durrett is an architect and co-author of the book Cohousing: A
Contemporary Approach to Housing Ourselves (Ten Speed Press, 1988) which
introduced this European housing model to the United States.  Together with
his wife Kathryn McCamant he founded The Cohousing Company, a San Francisco
Bay Area architecture and consulting firm that works with resident groups
and developers to build cohousing communities. Through their book,
presentations and workshops the have facilitated the formation of dozen of
cohousing resident groups.  Their work has received national recognition
including interviews on ABC's World News Tonight, NBC's Today Show and
National Public Radio, and articles in The New York Times, Utne Reader,
Architecture, the Christian Science Monitor, and the L.A. Times.

For further information contact Bellingham Cohousing: Kate N. Nichols,
671-1086

Natural Step Founder coming to Vancouver!

Dr. Karl-Henrik Robert is coming to Vancouver BC on October 1-2. He will be
meeting with several businesses and government during the day on Friday. On
Friday evening there will be a Public Event at the Woodward Building on the UBC
campus (6:30pm doors open, 7:30pm presentation, tickets at the door - $10 and $5
for students) - this public event is being organized by the Vancouver Steering
Committee. In addition to Dr. Robert's presentation and Q&A there will be
information tables and some catering to facilitate a networking environment.

On Saturday morning, October 2, we are planning a breakfast meeting with Dr.
Robert for people who already have some knowledge about the basics of The
Natural Step framework, and particularly people who have already organized,
formally or informally, into groups for the purpose of learning more about The
Natural Step, figuring out how to introduce it into their organizations or
communities, as study circles and hubs of information and communication about
sustainability using The Natural Step as a core concept.

The meeting will take place from 8:00 a.m-11:00 a.m. at the Waterfront Hotel,
900 Canada Place in Vancouver, BC. Cost: $50 Cdn, payable in cash or by check
(made out to The Natural Step/Canada) only. Please pay at the door.

The breakfast meeting is designed in two parts. The first part from 8:00 - 9:30
will be a session with Dr. Robert. The purpose of this session is to address the
specific questions and issues of the session participants. We will develop the
agenda based on what you would like to know and discuss.  The second part of the
meeting, from 9:30-11:00 is designed for networking and sharing. Because there
are so many active groups emerging in the Pacific Northwest (some would say
Cascadia), we would like to provide an opportunity for folks to dialogue and
network. Kelly Baxter and Mary Altomare from The Natural Step will be available
to facilitate, or this part of the session can be self-organizing.

We have limited space (about 40-45) for this Saturday morning session, and we
need to guarantee numbers by the end of next week (September 24).  Several of
you have already emailed or called in your interest in attending.  I would
deeply appreciate it if you would send another email (or fax) with the following
information (NOTE, PLEASE EMAIL TO TWO PLACES:  innostrat [at] aol.com and
ritaf [at] uniserve.com. If you do not have email available to you, please call
604.886.0957 and leave a message in The Natural Step voicemail, or fax the
information to 604.886.0967:

1. Your name, geographic affiliation (ie. Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, etc.),
address, telephone numbers, email, websites, etc. for inclusion in a
participants networking list.

2. What topics, issues, questions you would like to focus on for the time we
have with Dr. Robert.

3. Whether you would prefer a facilitated or self-organizing networking session.

4. If you would prefer a facilitated session, what would you most like to get
out of this networking part of the meeting.

5. Any additional information you need in order to facilitate your participation
in this session.

It is imperative that we receive this information NO LATER THAN THURSDAY,
SEPTEMBER 24 at which time we will finalize the numbers and sketch out the
agenda.

On the evening of September 24, I will compile a list of everyone who is
planning to attend and will email that out to everyone so you can arrange to
share transportation and/or lodging if that is desired.

Again, if you receive this message, please convey it to the rest of your TNS
network so everyone at least knows the opportunity exists.

Just a reminder: Dr. Robert will be speaking at the University of British
Columbia on Friday night October 1. For more information, please contact:
ritaf [at] uniserve.com.

For those who will be travelling from far points: Usually there are low-cost
accommodations available through the UBC conference center. I have checked and
unfortunately they are fully booked for that weekend. However there is another
little known option at UBC. The TRIUMF House is a guest house generally used to
accommodate scientists visiting the TRIUMF Research laboratory, but visitors to
UBC are welcome, based on availability of space.

single, private bath, $55/night.

Queen, private bath, $65/night

Queen, private bath, sofabed $75.00/night

Queen, prviate bath, kitchenette $85/night

2 single beds, hall bath $40.00 single occupancy; $50.00 double

Please note, these prices are in Canadian dollars.

For reservations or more information you should call 604.222.1062.

Maps to the Waterfront Hotel are available by fax on request. If you need one,
please include that information in your email to us.

We look forward to hearing from you and hope you appreciate the urgency of
getting this information to us if you plan to attend. Thank you in advance for
all of your help in getting the word out and co-creating a valuable experience.