Re: Security
From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 09:31:05 -0600 (MDT)
On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Unnat wrote:

> Over the past 6 weeks our houses have been regularly broken into (smash
> and grab), graffiti-ied, cars are targeted for cash, bikes stolen.  The
> neighbourhood in general seems to be the target of relentless attention
> by petty thieves; they seem to be quite young.  My daughter is
> distressed and won't even sleep alone any more.  Police seem helpless;
> they take a few details and go away again.

Liz Stevenson's response to you is quite good but I'll try to add a couple
thoughts.  From what you said it is hard to tell whether the problem is
endemic or the result of vendetta or just being targeted by a few folks.
I'm not sure this affects how you respond much but the latter is most
likely to respond to concentrated efforts on the part of residents.
It is surprizing how much havoc a few deviants can cause.  If they see you
as an easy target, then it's a matter od convincing them there are easier
targets elsewhere.  A rather narrow victory (moving the problem elsewhere)
but it provides you with relief.

The basic strategy of meeting/working with your neighbors and pressuring
the powers that be to respond seems very sound to me.

One particular strategy that I've never seen used but may be warranted in
your situation but which appeals to me:  Identify neighbors who are
willing to be called whenever suspicious activity is noted (any time of
night) and all turn on their yard lights etc simultaneously in response
to a quick phone tree calls.  You may want to install some special lights
for the prupose.  It's a way to communicate the the perpetrators that you
are organized and watching and putting lots of lights on may help observe
the them.

Fred

Cohousing-L  See http://www.cohousing.org and Nbhd-tc --  Twin
Cities Neighborhood issues list.  See http://freenet.msp.mn.us

  • Security Unnat, September 26 1999
    • Re: Security Bitner/Stevenson, September 26 1999
    • Re: Security Fred H. Olson, September 26 1999
    • Re: Security Unnat, September 30 1999