Re: research on self selection
From: Bitner/Stevenson (lilbertearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 20:27:52 -0600 (MDT)

> ------=_NextPart_000_001C_01BF0CC8.C657D260
>
> the discussion thread on inclusion & exclusion in cohousing reminded me =
> of Iannaccone's research:
>
> Source: Laurence Iannaccone (1992) "Sacrifice and Stigma: Reducing =
> Free-riding in Cults, Communes, and Other Collectives" Journal of =
> Political Economy, Volume 100, No 2.=20

> inefficient prohibitions to the benefit of (perfectly rational) members. =
> Examples would include the Jehova's Witnesses who benefit from stigma, =
> self-sacrifice and bizarre behavioural restrictions as a means of =
> self-selection.
>
> So, this research suggests there is merit in a degree of thresholding to =
> achieve success in joint ventures.=20
>
> Applied to cohousing; the difficulties in the process of bringing groups =
> together becomes an investment that pays off when the group is =
> established. Conversely, if the process is skipped (eg. a commercial =
> developer does all the work), the outcome may not work as well.
>
> Hans
> www.vicnet.net.au/~cohouse
>

> ------=_NextPart_000_001C_01BF0CC8.C657D260

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
> http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana size=3D2>the discussion thread on inclusion =
> &amp;=20
> exclusion in cohousing reminded me of Iannaccone's =
> research:</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana size=3D2>Source: Laurence Iannaccone (1992) =
> "<EM>Sacrifice=20
> and Stigma: Reducing Free-riding in Cults, Communes, and Other =
> Collectives</EM>"=20
> <U>Journal of Political Economy</U>, Volume 100, No 2. </FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana size=3D2>Summary: Some successful groups=20
> have&nbsp;requirements and seemingly inefficient prohibitions to the =
> benefit=20
> of&nbsp;(perfectly rational) members. Examples would include the =
> Jehova's=20
> Witnesses who benefit from stigma, self-sacrifice and bizarre=20
> behavioural&nbsp;restrictions as a means of self-selection.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana size=3D2>So,&nbsp;this =
> research&nbsp;suggests&nbsp;there=20
> is merit in a degree of thresholding&nbsp;to achieve success in joint =
> ventures.=20
> </FONT></DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana size=3D2>Applied to cohousing; the =
> difficulties in the=20
> process of bringing groups together becomes an investment that pays off =
> when the=20
> group is established. Conversely, if the process is skipped (eg. a =
> [...]
I very much appreciate everybody's contributions on this list. However,
messages in mime format get really garbled, and I was wondering if, as a
personal favor to me, people wouldn't mind not putting it in that format if
they know how. I would really appreciate it.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing