Re: ROMANTICIZING NOTHING
From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 07:39:18 -0600 (MDT)
Silva Wilson  silvawilson [at] yahoo.com
by the Fred the list manager:  fholson@cohousing org

To get off cohousing-L, send email with UNSUBSCRIBE COHOUSING-L in the
msg body to:  listproc [at] cohousing.org   Questions? email Fred - addr above

Deb <interracially married...not a whiner> Smyre wrote:

>I would also offer that if arguments in favor of
>polyamory seem to be falling flat in a cohousing
>forum, we can only imagine how much

I have been silent on this issue up until now, having
no interest in poly-anything myself (my one male
partner is enough for me).  But so far, Deb, I would
say that it is the other way around; it appears that
the pro-polyamory arguments are anything but falling
flat.  In fact, those who have let their views be
known on this side have done so courageously and
convincingly.  It is the anti-polyamory argumenters
that have been falling flat and (surprisingly to me,
for I considered myself among their numbers before
this debate) have been sounding rather narrow-minded.

>To say that polyamory is innate or instinctive is a
>weak argument, since resisting our instinctive urges
>(to murder, for example) is what supposedly separates
>us from lower animals.

To compare loving more than one person with murder
seems ludicrous and outright frightening.

And "lower" animals?  I need say nothing more...

I agree that this forum is a good place for this
discussion, but it has begun to take on a nasty tone
and the subject seems exhausted.  Perhaps we could
shift to a different aspect -- I would like to hear,
for example, how living in co-housing communities has
BENEFITTED peoples' partnered relationships.

Peace,

Silva Wilson