Flooring the common house
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 14:53:29 -0700 (MST)
At RoseWind Cohousing, our CH now has walls, roof, windows and doors, a
front porch, interior framing, and roughed-in plumbing and electrical. We
are getting down to details, but some rather broad ones still to be
decided. Flooring is the next major one, and shared information could be
very useful.

FLOORING:
We plan a WOODEN floor in the great room (dining room)(about 900 sq ft) ,
and probably non-wooden flooring elsewhere (1800 sq ft) , in our entry
foyer, halls, lavatories, rec, youth, kitchen. We have ruled out laminate
flooring, and stone tile. Our subfloor is plywood, not concrete. Several
years ago, I looked into BAMBOO flooring material (Plyboo) but was told
it had warping problems. Any update? Some want wooden flooring in the
front hall, too. I am concerned that even with many people changing into
slippers, and dirt-catching mats on the front porch and door area, others
will still be in dirty shoes and a wooden floor in the front hall would
still get dirty and scratched up in fairly short order. Experience?

In the KITCHEN, we are concerned to have good resistance to water, and
slipping, and yet be able to mop it smoothly. What have people found with
the kitchen floor choices they made? Is anyone using that rubber flooring
that has slightly raised round bumps on it? With conventional vinyl or
linoleum, is there something more watertight at the edges than
conventional cove molding? Is there flooring that extends up the wall a
bit, like a built-in molding?

As for the non-wood floor areas in general:
Real LINOLEUM, like Marmoleum, is fairly costly to buy and install, but
seems easy to maintain, durable, and comfortable underfoot.
VC Tile, vinyl composition tile, is cheap, durable, and looks ever so
institutional (picture most schools, hospitals, rec centers, etc, in
12-inch squares.) Cold, too.
STONE is expensive and cold underfoot.
Sheet VINYL seems soft and chemical.
Floor PAINT is a possibility, though I think we figured some flooring
depth into our door threshholds, and don't know if it would be a problem
(ADA or general tripping) to have a change in level at a doorway. Seems a
painted floor would be a lot harder to keep clean.

What about CORK? I keep seeing references to it as an ecological and
durable choice, but I don't know if I've ever seen it in use. Does it
have to look like acres of bulletin board? Can it be colored? Is it
readily available? What about cost and maintenance?

Any OTHER suggestions?

Thanks a lot.
Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing
Port Townsend
where our last two lots (for families number 23 and 24) go up for sale
February 1.
Our recently updated web site tells more. www.olypen.com/sstowell/rosewind/