Re: surveying children's experiences
From: Hans Tilstra (tilstrasmartchat.net.au)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 18:52:48 -0700 (MST)
I am really interested in children's experiences are of living in a
cohousing community.

Are there any children / young people who would be able to gather both
numbers and quotes? These are the two questions:

1. What do you like about living in this cohousing community?

2. What do you dislike about living in cohousing community?

I also need to know the sex and age of the respondent. I also need to know
how many children (count any 0 to 18 year olds living at home) live in the
cohousing community. With that information we might learn that girls find
different things more important than boys, that younger children might find
different things important than teenagers.

If you do a survey it's important to explain that everyone is free to choose
whether or not they want to participate. However, it would be good if about
40% (a bit less than half of all children) answer the two questions. The
survey is done to help adults understand what children want & need. If lots
of children respond, the adults will know it's not just their own child
asking for something.

I promise I will only share "patterns". What I mean by patterns is that I
take out names and sort the answers. I might have a pile of responses about
the common house, or sharing stuff or rules. Once there is a pile of
opinions about the same thing, than I will report that back. If only one
child out of 40 in the whole survey in different cohousing communities says
something about the food, or a a neighbour, I'll take that out. I don't want
the readers to be able to find out who wrote what. So I'll change the
wording (called "editing") to make sure children get heard and not seen.

If I get an adequate response by email, I will post the results!

Hans Tilstra
Melbourne
Australia
tilstra [at] smartchat.net.au