The social pressure of membership selection
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousemail.msn.com)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 08:34:20 -0700 (MST)
After reading several of the responses about self selection vs. group
selection of member I began thinking about what the impact of wanting to
please everybody would have on a prospective member. Dare I disagree with
the power elite (core group) Dare I bring up this point, for fear it may
cause others to disagree with me and endanger my membership? If the criteria
for picking members is, They get along with others, do I dare disagree?

Maybe what such things do is weed out non self-effacing individuals? Free
Disagreement with the status group, with no social consequences, is a strong
point of a good collaborative process. In a healthy group, If I have a new
idea, I feel free to speak it, without fear of alienation or social
retribution. I know my idea will be fairly and equally examined just like
all the others.

Would having my membership on the line cause me to speak out, or would I go
along with the status group? Hmmmm. This is a subtle and interesting group
dynamic issue perhaps. Or perhaps not.

Rob Sandelin
Northwest Intentional Communities Association