Spirit of Place
From: PattyMara (PattyMaraaol.com)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 12:31:59 -0700 (MST)
In a message dated 2/16/00 12:48:58 AM, RowenaHC [at] cs.com writes:

<< Do you suppose our former industrial site with broken
 down warehouses alongside a railroad track called to us to build great sunny
 units with veggie garden, pretty good lawn,  new trees and play areas? >>

Sounds like your site did a great job of calling you in.

In the Pattern Language book, which we  (Tierra Nueva Coho, cen CA coast)
studied and discussed and wrote volumes of documents about when we were
stalled and had nothing else to do for a few years. . . . . there is a
pattern called Site Repair.  One example of site repair involves a plot of
land that has a beautiful hill with a stunning view, which slopes gently down
to a sumpy, marshy, inhospitable place where old tires and trash have
accumulated over the decades.  The first inclination of course is to build
your house on the hill so you can enjoy the stunning view from your living
room, deck, bedroom etc.  Site Repair suggests that you build your house on
the most disgusting spot in order to clean up the damage that has been done
over the years, and thus restore it to a beautiful attractive area.  The
stunning view can still be enjoyed by taking a short walk up the hill
anytime, and it will remain naturally beautiful, because you chose not to
mess with it.

Sounds like what your group did at Cambridge Coho was total site repair.  The
spirit of your place must be giddy with gratitude.  Good juju for everyone
who lives there.

coheartedly,
Patty Mara Gourley
Tierra Nueva Coho, cen CA coast