Re: Paving for pedestrian streets
From: Kay Argyle (argylemines.utah.edu)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 12:13:33 -0700 (MST)
In my earlier message about grass pavers, I forgot to mention where part of
the funds for the work on our central path came from.  We received a
$10,000 grant from Cool Communities Coalition of the State of Utah (I hope
I'm not mangling their name) to act as a demo project for urban heat
mitigation, since the grass pavers should be a lot cooler than most other
surfaces we could have used to pave our required emergency vehicle access.

Thank you, Cool Communities (and thank you, Vaughn, who went grant hunting
and bagged it for us!).

If I remember correctly, by the time topsoil and plants are figured in, the
grass pavers were slightly more expensive per square foot than the brick
pavers we used on the rest of the path, and the labor costs were several
times the cost of the materials.

Kay Argyle
Wasatch Commons