Paving for pedestrian streets
From: Ginny Moreland (vmorelandmindspring.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 19:57:21 -0700 (MST)

------=_NextPart_000_0140_01BF7734.D20DFCC0

East Lake Commons needs workable suggestions for resurfacing our =
pedestrian streets.  Here's the problem:

We initially thought a fine aggregate that when wetted and rolled makes =
a nice hard surface would work well for us.  After nearly a year on site =
and numerous re-workings of this material, we've concluded it just won't =
do.  Our streets have too much slope, and we tend to have gully-washer =
rains, so eventually the gravel shifts and forms deep crevices. =20

Larger size aggregate (gravel road) does not pack firm enough.  We have =
several residents (and visitors) who use wheelchairs and other residents =
who are not terribly sure-footed, so we need a fairly smooth, firm =
surface. =20

The pedestrian street also serves as our fire lane, so the center twelve =
feet or so have to be solid enough to support a fire truck.  =
Unfortunately asphalt would be the quick and cheap answer, but most of =
us hate the idea and will do most anything to avoid it.   =20

We're hoping to find some solution that is semi-permeable and not =
environmentally destructive.

What have other communities used?  Where else can you point us to =
research options?   =20

Thanks in advance for any clues. =20

Ginny Moreland
East Lake Commons
Atlanta, Georgia
vmoreland [at] mindspring.com

Common House framed and almost roofed in, community struggling with =
growing pains and trying various things to integrate newer members with =
the old-timers. =20

Best recent Cohousing Moment: when the massive ice-storm of several =
weeks ago left us all without power, we cancelled a scheduled meeting =
but had the potluck anyway.  Gathered in one of the lucky few homes that =
has a gas fireplace, lots of candle light, lots of people, and wound up =
in a several hour long singing session.  Quite a few of our off-site =
members came too, since they had no light or power at home either and =
could stay warmer with us. Being in community made the weather disaster =
seem so much less threatening than it might have in other circumstances. =
Though after nearly four days with no heat, the charm had definitely =
worn off!

------=_NextPart_000_0140_01BF7734.D20DFCC0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>East Lake Commons needs workable =
suggestions for=20
resurfacing our pedestrian streets.&nbsp; Here's the =
problem:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We initially thought a&nbsp;fine =
aggregate that=20
when wetted and rolled makes a nice hard surface would work well for =
us.&nbsp;=20
After nearly a year on site and numerous re-workings of this material, =
we've=20
concluded it just won't do.&nbsp; Our streets have too much slope, and =
we tend=20
to have gully-washer rains, so eventually the gravel shifts and =
forms&nbsp;deep=20
crevices.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Larger size aggregate (gravel road) =
does not pack=20
firm enough.&nbsp; We have several residents&nbsp;(and visitors) who use =

wheelchairs and other residents who are not terribly sure-footed, so we =
need a=20
fairly smooth, firm surface.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The pedestrian street also serves as =
our fire lane,=20
so the center twelve feet or so have to be solid enough to support a =
fire=20
truck.&nbsp; Unfortunately asphalt would be the quick and cheap answer, =
but most=20
of us hate the idea and will do most anything to avoid =
it.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We're hoping to&nbsp;find some solution =
that is=20
semi-permeable and not environmentally destructive.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What have other communities used?&nbsp; =
Where else=20
can you point us to research options? &nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance for any=20
clues.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ginny Moreland</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>East Lake Commons</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Atlanta, Georgia</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:vmoreland [at] mindspring.com">vmoreland [at]
mindspring.com</A></FO=
NT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Status: almost all units under =
contract, about 25=20
households moved in, Common House framed and almost roofed in,=20
community&nbsp;</FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>struggling with =
growing pains and=20
trying various things to integrate newer members with the =
old-timers.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Best recent Cohousing Moment:&nbsp;when =
the massive=20
ice-storm of several weeks ago left us all without power, we cancelled a =

scheduled meeting but had the potluck anyway.&nbsp; Gathered in one of =
the lucky=20
few homes that has a gas fireplace, lots of candle light, lots of =
people, and=20
wound up in a several hour long singing session.&nbsp; Quite a few of =
our=20
off-site members came too, since they had no light or power at home =
either and=20
could stay warmer with us.&nbsp;Being in community made the weather =
disaster=20
seem so much less threatening than it might have in other=20
circumstances.&nbsp;Though after nearly four days with no heat, the =
charm had=20
definitely worn off!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>