Re: Anxiety, Community Development and the Role of Design
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 19:47:43 -0700 (MST)
In a message dated 2/14/2000 4:34:09 PM, marchpower [at] worldnet.att.net
writes:

<< > Observation first:  no one comes to cohousing to get a house.  (If they
do
> they don't stay long!)  Everyone comes looking for a lifestyle change.

Ooooooh.   Um....BIG generalization, yes?  I read this email and kept
thinking....people ARE buying a house, you know.  To assume that the HUGE
decision to buy a house is so small compared to the choice to live in
community is quite inaccurate, I believe.  Most people want to buy a house
and put their money into their mortgage vs. renting.  THEN they say, "Well,
I also want to live in a great community...not just some suburb!"   >>

That's how we came to cohousing.  We started looking to buy a house, heard
about cohousing, checked it out and stopped looking at other houses.  This
house is probably the biggest financial purchase we will ever make.  We don't
expect it to be perfect, but since we can make many choices about our house,
why not?  We feel we've struck a good balance between "bulk purchase"
construction/design and customizations.  We expect our house to be part of
our lifestyle change; having architects who live in cohousing has been a huge
help in this regard.

Roger