Re: Use of Email in Group Decision Making
From: Marya S. Tipton (sundoggburgtimes.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 19:20:01 -0700 (MST)
Hello, all,

We at Hundredfold also make extensive use of e-mail. I think it has played a
key role in keeping us on the cohousing fast-track. Generally, we use e-mail
to generate agenda items, review contracts and proposals, and give our
conversations a jump start before meetings. However, aside from a very few
times, we have not used it in consensus decision making.

One drawback to the e-mail loop is that it keeps people who do not have
e-mail from fully participating in the conversation. With families spread
over three states trying to organize Hundredfold, that is just the reality
of the situation. We tried providing hardcopies at the meetings, but it was
rather ineffective.

Peace,

--
Marya Tipton
Hundredfold Farm

----------
>From: "Mabel Liang" <mliang [at] xenergy.com>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <cohousing-l [at] freedom2.mtn.org>
>Subject: Re: Use of Email in Group Decision Making
>Date: Mon, Feb 14, 2000, 10:00 PM
>

> Dick,
>
>>From a not-moved-in group.
>
> We make extensive use of e-mail for circulating proposals and getting out
> information.  However, we have members who feel strongly that e-mail alone
> cannot be used as a means of communicating important information.  My husband,
> who does technical support for an ISP, is among those who know that e-mail to
> one or more people can fail.  He has a button that says something like
"E-mail:
> When it absolutely positively has to get lost at the speed of light."
Sometimes