Re: Private Unit Design - a cost/benefit question
From: Merlin Porter-Border (merlpberols.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:53:37 -0700 (MST)
Patty Mara Gourley of Tierra Nueva, cen CA coast said, "I like the idea of
letting the architects do their work, and letting us do the work and play and
partying of building community."

I think she's got it.  I wonder how many American cohousers have read, and
believe, what Chuck and Katie found out about the experience of our Danish
founders?  They found that over the years, the houses got smaller and the common
house and "community" aspects of cohousing evolved as being most important.  I
guess it would be too much to expect that Americans would learn anything from
the
previous 30 years of evolution of cohousing.

We have to learn it all over again, given our long-evolved proclivity, need for
big, expensive houses.  It IS hard to let go of that one (we are moving from a
contemporary house set in a pine forest on three acres, three car garage, large
shop, studio - and holding to faith in what Chuck and Katie found out for us in
Denmark).

Merlin Porter-Borden
Liberty Village, MD
Building Permits Moving Ahead