Re: Private Unit Design - a cost/benefit question
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 01:11:52 -0700 (MST)
This is a tough issue.  I can see both sides.
    On the one hand, having standardized house plans would have greatly
simplified our lives these past two years.   At Pathways we went with
customizable house designs off four basic plans.  It took (just a guestimate
here) a year's worth of cohousing meetings and family time to deal with,
created a ton of difficult, emotional and purely subjective decisions (house
colors was a big one) and slowed down construction with all the variations
and change orders (despite heavy surcharges after the purchase and sales
agreements were signed).
    On the other hand, as we begin to move in within a week or two, watching
our own homes and those of our neighbors take shape is an unbelievable
feeling.  It's fun seeing the choices others made; it's a small reflection of
each family.  And for all the time and money we're sinking into this, I like
feeling that I had some control over what my house will look like and how it
will operate.

     Living in cohousing is the main goal of everyone, orginal occupant or
not.  Those moving into communities after they are built may not get their
ideal house, but they weren't there during the design process and didn't
spend 3-5 years of their lives getting it built; the reality is that getting
to design your own home is an option open only to the builders.  It's a
really nice option.  Yes, people drop out and move.  Families change and
their housing needs with them.  On the other hand, while many houses change
over, many others don't.  Many families will live in the houses they designed
for decades, perhaps generations.
    That said, I can't imagine it will be possible to predict a mix of houses
that will remain ideal through the years.  I do know that every family at
Pathways will have the house size they need now and think they will need for
several years.  Only one family dropped out after we began picking out house
sizes, and they were replaced just before construction began, so the new
family's house size was changed in time.  Perhaps a compromise could be
reached; at a minimum, let each household pick the number of bedrooms they
need.  Otherwise, it will be difficult to attract people to a project if they
can't get the house size they need.  Bedrooms can always be added later,
especially if the houses are designed for easy enlargement.
    A few other customizations could be allowed for purely objective needs,
like health concerns (type of heating/air filtration/air conditioning/low
volatile materials) or accessibility (ramps/bathrooms/kitchen
counters/appliances).  These could be presented as packages (eg, the "heathly
home" or "accessible" option) to decrease the number of decisions and
decrease the complexity of the project.  Leave the purely subjective stuff,
like house colors, trim and floor choices, and the design features, like
floor plans and bathrooms, to the professionals.  That will save a ton of
time, emotional upheavals and money.

    -Roger