housing options
From: Victoria (victoriatrillium-hollow.org)
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 21:08:21 -0700 (MST)
I'm inclined to agree with Chris Hanson re: cutting the role of the
residents in the individual units.  Of course the diversity of sites would
make it necessary to have options to choose from: condos vs. houses for
instance.  I think it would be an amazing time and cost saver to have the
group choose among some preplanned options along the lines Chris described,
with all changes being saved for later remodels.  (There is still PLENTY of
work to do in building the community and common house.) I'm guessing that
this would make cohousing something truly affordable and accessible to
people with limited time and money, often the very people who stand to
benefit the most.

It amazes me that cohousing ever gets completed at all, given the blood,
sweat and tears required.  My guess is that for cohousing to be an REAL
option for MANY people in our culture it is going to have to metamorphose a
bit, so that the aforementioned people low on energy and money - often
parents - can benefit.  It seems likely that it is going to have to get
easier somehow, or it will remain limited to a few.  Chris's idea is worth
exploring further.

Vicky Leary
Trillium Hollow
Portland, Oregon