Money and Greater Hartford Cohousing
From: Tonka444 (Tonka444aol.com)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 08:27:35 -0600 (MDT)
Hi everyone--

I have a very nuts and bolts money question for you.  Our group has been
meeting since July and up until this point each "core" household (11) has
only put in $100 bucks for expenses.

As of May 1st, we are leveling the membership so that core households will
now o pay $200 a month "fair share contribution" towards the option of land.
We do not have a site or any professionals hired yet.

We have 10 households (!) who want to be core at $200 a month.  But the
question that held up our group last meeting was...if we have a household
join four months from now, do they have to pay $1200 down (to catch up to the
membership) and then $200 a month and THEN the $100 bucks that the earlier
core kicked in?  The membership committee who wrote out the new membership
levels did not include the initial $100 requirement but one household feels
that if they had to pay it, why wouldn't the newcomers?

Also, with the new $2000 a month that will be coming in, should that go in a
separate account and the initial $100 payment be used for expenses and get
replenished from the group?  I thought that ALL of the money each household
put in is considered predevelopment expenses that will come off the top of
our mortgages.

Just curious how other groups structure out their initial monetary payments
before a site and before professionals.

Thanks,
Shelly DeMeo