Re: Reality check of lofty values
From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:51:37 -0600 (MDT)
Michael Black  ArchBlack [at] aol.com  Two Acre Wood CoHousing
is the author of the message below but due to a problem
it was posted by Fred the Cohousing-L list manager:  fholson [at] cohousing.org

Note: I converted Michael's quotes to net standard format to make this
message more readable.  Fred

To get off Cohousing-L, send email with UNSUBSCRIBE COHOUSING-L in the
msg body to:  listproc [at] cohousing.org   Questions? email Fred - addr above

On 4/9/00 Robyn "Unnat" <zen [at] iinet.net.au> wrote:

> I'm happy to receive the responses privately and feedback if there seems to
> be an enthusiastic response.
>
> I'm looking for clear info / links / reality checks / resources regarding
> commonly held definitions of values/principles/processes.  I find that some
> good people share what I view as shallow, and sometimes self-serving,
> assumptions that are at best totally subjective and at worst, highly
> manipulative and covertly hostile.  I often feel as though I am walking on
> thin precious ice; a  brittle, precarious surface that shatters easily under
> the steps of an 'oaf' like me.  The ones that bother me most are those that
> are deemed almost sacred.  Frustrating in a one-on-one communication, I've
> witnessed this shallow approach confuse and reduce a group into a kangaroo
> court with often devastating results. Note my growing, oh hell, my
> frustrated cynicism?

> "When you ..., I feel ..."
> The basis of clear, honest communication.
> My reality:  owning the problem, accepting responsibility for one's own
> part, non-blaming, goodwill, aiming for win/win.
> What I see:  often the opposite, sealed with a tear.  eg, one of my
> favorites, "I feel attacked ..."  Is this a feeling?  Sounds like an
> accusation.

We are in the exciting and difficult process of creating culture.
Obviously, our communities will function more efficiently and offer us a
deeper level of community if we learn to share difficult things with each
other in a non-threatening way. However, even when we do this we could
receive a response such as "I feel attacked.." - I suppose the answer to this
could be "When I hear you say "I feel attacked..", I feel attacked", ad
infinitum. What is most important is to work on:  being patient with each
other; refraining from blaming, shaming and guilt-tripping; developing
patience (even enjoyment) for what we perceive to be each other's
idiosyncracies; refraining from having unreal expectations of each other; and
being compassionate and forgiving. It is also important to remember that we
are all "works in process", that perfections in our interactions is only
something that we can strive for.

> "unsafe"
> What does that mean?  I am out of my comfort zone?  Or this is dangerous?
> Or I'm a 'fraidy cat?  I mostly see it used as a oblique blame and a
> manipulative tactic for getting one's own way.

We cannot promise safety, but we can work to create trust and sensitivity
in order to create an atmosphere that is as safe as possible at any given
point in our personal and collective evolutions.  Some people, even
CoHousers, react harshly when they do not agree with what is being
proposed/said. When living in community we become mirrors for each other.
Sometimes the mirrors give us just the reflections we want/need, whether
positive or negative.  Other times we are seeing our reflections through
"fun-house" mirrors (the ones that make you look skinny/fat/etc. - the ones
tainted by projections).  It would be ideal if we could praise each other
more and offer criticisms in a graceful manner - something else to work on.

> "speaking one's truth"
> I wish!  How many times have I seen hands held to hearts, eyes roll sky-ward
> while uttering this uncontestable line.  The next second, out comes a
> totally self-serving and irresponsible statement or even a bold faced lie!

I feel judgement and anger here.  These are personal responses that create
divisions between us.  While it is important to be truthful with each other,
sometimes we hurt each other with our truths, and sometimes others will not
be able to receive our truths as truthful. While it is sometimes necessary to
judge actions, judging people (such as "he cannot be trusted") limits that
person to a past behavior.  It is important to allow each other the space to
change, to evolve beyond our past limitations, and to refrain from putting
each other in "negative boxes".  We all are susceptible to anger.  When we
feel anger it is best to pull back, look at it and then do something to
dispel it such as exercise or meditation.  Anger in the moment can be quite
damaging to those who have not yet developed their capacity for forgiveness.
Holding anger is probably more damaging to the one holding the anger than the
one receiving it.

> "trust"
> I trust in the go(o)dness, the ki, the ultimate mystery, whatever.
> My reality:  In people, trust is knowing, knowing is loving, loving is
> understanding that we are not all always trustworthy.  Trustworthiness is a
> combination of character and competency, the mix required depends on the
> desired result.
> What I see:
> Trust put out as an undisclosed expectation, eg "I trusted you and you
> didn't come through!" - character required without agreement.
> Or the other side of that coin is a kind of self-righteous trust that has a
> built in failure clause.
> eg, " Blah is going to do x-job."  "Is Blah able?"  "Trust!"  Later, "Blah
> stuffed up but that's OK.  We won't let him/her know and we'll redo
> x-job." - competence required without agreement.

The most important trust is to trust that our intentions are good, that we
mean well, that if someone has an issue with us that they will communicate
directly.  We are all capable of messing up on a job or forgetting an
obligation.  Having unreal expectations is related to trust.  We could
eliminate a lot of community friction if we could have more real expectations
of each other.

> I am all ears!
>
> Warmest regards
> Robyn

Cirinjiva, a holy man from India, said:"if you wish to evolve, live in a
diverse community."  Isn't it wonderfully curious how our imperfect selves
can be so reactive to the imperfections of others?

Yours in community,

Michael Black
Two Acre Wood CoHousing