Re: Consensus
From: Howard Landman (howardpolyamory.org)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 16:11:34 -0600 (MDT)
> I'm looking for a handout on consensus for our upcoming orientation - I'm
> thinking of something 1-2 pages

Formally, River Rock has a detailed flow chart which covers 4 large (poster
size) pieces of paper and describes how we make decisions.

In practice, it's a bit simpler.  We talk about things for a while (usually
with someone "stacking", that is, keeping track of who raised their hands
in what order and making sure each one gets their turn), and then we either
decide or run out of time and have to discuss whether to spend more time.

When we finally get around to deciding, if the method is consensus (some
things may be e.g. majority vote), then we ask for a show of thumbs.  Any
thumb down means we're not there yet.  If they're all up, we still ask
the following 4 questions (approximately):

        Have all points of view been expressed?

        Have all concerns been resolved?

        Can we live with this?

        Is this in the best interest of River Rock?

allowing some silent time after each one.  If no one says anything, we
have consensus.

        Howard Landman