Re: HTML Post to Email
From: Sharon Villines (sharonvillinesprodigy.net)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 07:28:36 -0600 (MDT)
> I would like to suggest as a protocol that people send e-mail to the list
> in "plain text" only. I know that Netcape-Mail users (like myself at work)
> get the advantage of HTML formatting, but it's a real drag to read it on
> the list when you don't.

I receive about 200 emails a day and when one of them comes through in HTML
I do get the graphic version but it takes so long to download, I often
delete it before it ever gets done.

I've started emailing people privately about this issue and discovered that
most people who send HTML have no idea they are doing it. Thus I am offering
these tips:

In the preferences settings for your email program you have to check both
the box for send messages in Plain Text AND UNCHECK the box that says
something like "respond to messages in the format they were received."

Many of the commercially supported "free" listserves are now adding graphic
banners at the end of the messages. If you forward one of these messages in
the format in which it was received, it goes in HTML. Four million people
have to wait for that banner to download before they can read your message.

Further, do not compose your messages in Micorosft Word and then paste them
into an email message. The great Microsoft in the sky with no requests at
all imbeds HTML commands in your text. I haven't figured out how to turn
this off securely. I do it once and it sneaks back  in again. It looks fine
on the screen and then everyone gets HTML.

Compose in your email program (you can work off-line and save it to send
later) or a simple text program that comes with  most computers. The Apple
version is called SimpleText. Not sure what others are called.

Maybe others can be more explicit about where all these commands are on the
various email programs. As the self-appointed head honcho of the
International Society for the Ban of HTML in Email, I can only handle the
basic tips. Do you think I can get this as far as the Supreme Court by their
next session? I missed this one.

Sharon Villines, Editor
The MacGuffin Guide to Detective Fiction
http://www.macguffin.net
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington, DC
http://www.takomavillage.org