Re: Firearms
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 21:38:13 -0600 (MDT)
In a message dated 7/30/2000 11:43:38 AM, rlkohl [at] earthlink.net writes:

<< What rules do other cohousing communities have on firearms and ammunition?

Our community has outright banned firearms (and other weapons) from the site.
 I don't think those who insisted on this rule would bend, even a little, for
exceptions such as yours, since that possiblity was brought up at the time we
discussed it.  I didn't agree with the rule (don't have a gun and don't plan
to, but know several responsible folks who do), but I didn't block consensus.

One potential problem with an outright ban is that it could eventually run up
against consitutional barriers.  Say, for example, a member decided they
liked target shooting and wanted to keep a gun at home.  The community says
not you can't, and the member says yes I can, the rule is unconstitutional
and they call the NRA.  Ouch.   Even if you do end up with the right to ban
guns, it could cost an amazing amount of money in legal fees.

I think you're much better off developing highly restrictive rules that don't
amount to an outright ban.  Focus your rules, as Evan suggested, on safety
and issues, and have the potential member talk to the community.  Have
disussions within the community, especially with children, about the dangers
of firearms.

Good luck.

Roger
Pathways