Re: When world(view)s collide
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 23:20:03 -0700 (MST)
Here's a few points to consider...

I have to agree with Sharon- ask the kids for input.  But recognize that kids
aren't parents and many are likely to minimize whatever dangers may be
present in the park (just how dangerous is Fort Collins, anyway?)

The 6-12 age group varies considerably in activities. They might not be able
to agree on what few activities you are able to fit into the small space you
have, so one group (or both) might end up being frustrated and bored anyway.

The older ones need a large space to play in, one where they don't have to
worry about breaking windows.  So they may end up going to the park anyway,
especially if their parents give them permission (and it sounds like some
parents will give them permission).  Then the younger kids will want to
follow the older ones.

How much pavement do you have?  Expect the kids to be drawn to wherever you
have flat, ridable surfaces.  If you don't have that internally, they'll be
drawn to the park.

How about basketball hoops or a field to play soccer, frisbee or football on?
 We just put up a parking lot basketball hoop, in 50 degree early spring
weather, and the 11 & 12 year old boys were waiting, impatiently, bantering
about who would get the first shot.  They played until dark.

I think what I'm getting at is that the older kids and more active younger
ones will be drawn to the park, regardless of what the parents want.  Expect
resentment if you deny permission for them to use it.  But don't take it from
me- ask the kids.

Some, if not many, folks will want to keep down the noise (especially in the
summer, and especially by those who work at home).

Solutions?  Seems to me you'll need a park policy, regardless of whether or
not you bu and that will allow you to keep you eyes on them.  For awhile.

Good luck!

    Roger Berman
    Pathways Cohousing
    Northampton, MA