Cohousing & Community
From: Sharon Villines (sharonvillinesprodigy.net)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 19:31:01 -0600 (MDT)
> M. Scott Peck's main thesis about community.  For
> true community to form, the members need to go through a crisis and
> confrontation and expose their mutual vulnerabilities.  The design of
> cohousing by its future residents invariably creates opportunities for
> crisis, confrontation and vulnerability.  Thus when the design is complete
> and the residents move in, the residents have become a true community.

Actually all they have when they move in is a commitment to be a community
and _some_ experience with confronting issues together. The design and
building process brings them together and gives them something to confront
that is not _just_ an exercise in self exploration, but is an essential
human vulnerability.

> Crisis, confrontation, and exposing mutual vulnerabilities

The definition of life is crisis -- each moment is filled with decisions
that once made influence the course of life ever after. We are just more
aware of some and less aware of others. Can you eat just one potato chip?

"Exposing" mutual vulnerabilities may be better phrased as "recognizing and
accepting" mutual vulnerabilities. It is the _acceptance_ of our own and
others vulnerabilities that allows us to bond in relationships. Otherwise we
have only attached to idealizations and fantasies, which require continued
non-confrontation to maintain themselves.

The commitment to "confront together" is the defining requirement in forming
and maintaining a community. Some commit to confronting drug abuse. Others
commit to confront the need for civic gardens or child care. Communities
form around all these commitments. Some loose, some very strong.

Since the need for housing, a place to live safely and happily, is a major
human vulnerability, the ways in which we confront it define a major part of
who we are. Unlike many vulnerabilities, it involves physical, temporal,
economic, and social commitments. It confronts us with both limitations and
opportunities. It involves confronting a vast number of decisions that are
binding and define one's personal future at a very fundamental level.

Designing the living space and making the economic and social decisions
necessary to attract the number of members needed to actually build the
dream is _one_ beginning of community. The process of confronting these
issues before you are literally living in them is easier than confronting
them afterward, but many issues only arise _after_ you are living together.
The commitment one makes early on is only a piece of the commitment one has
to keep remaking, over and over, for the community to grow.

In architectural terms, "cohousing" requires participation in the design
process (new or retrofit) but more important than the design process itself
is the opportunity the process brings for confronting life together and
continuing to make "architectural" decisions about one's own life in
relation to the community, rather than in spite of it.