Re: Commonhouse: Hanging Out
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddesshome.com)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:18:01 -0600 (MDT)
> From: "John Greene" <greenelowe [at] mindspring.com>
>
> Here at Lake Claire Cohousing in Atlanta, which has been occupied for
> four years now, we've been disappointed that there isn't more casual hanging
> out in the Common House.  Everyone goes in and out every day for laundry and
> mail, and there are dinners, birthday parties, sings, and so forth, but
> rarely does anyone just hang around there.  I think the problem, in our
> case, is that there isn't much there.
>
> * There's no "electronic fireplace."  There's been an ongoing
> controversy about whether there should be a TV in the common house, and
> we've yet to reach any agreement on that, so there's never been one.  Some
> of us feel that if one were available at least for big events (Academy
> Awards, World Series, etc.) or for shows that many people watch separately
> at home, then that would lead to more hanging out.  But other folks worry
> that it would get out of hand.
Why not agree to have it there for a fixed period of time and see if it
works out, say three months?

> * There's no telephone, which means, for those of us still backwards
> enough not to have cell phones, that no one can reach us when we're at the
> Common House.  Nice in many ways, of course, but if you have kids, aging
> parents, or just phone calls you're expecting, you want to at least have a
> phone nearby.

I think not having a telephone is *dangerous*. What if someone is hurt and
alone? Ours hardly ever rings unless there is a meal and people want to add,
but it sure is good for keeping in touch when necessary. Again, it can be
removed if there is a problem. We have toll calling blocked.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing