Re: Commonhouse: Hanging Out
From: Howard Landman (howardpolyamory.org)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:08:02 -0600 (MDT)
>     * Our common house, for specific site reasons, is also at the end of the
> site, so that many of us cannot look out our windows and see what's going on
> there.  I've always imagined that more centrally-located CHs have more
> hanging out, but perhaps that's not true.

Our CH is also located at one end of the site.  This was, I believe,
primarily for the convenience of the developer, since the CH must exist
before they can legally begin selling units, and it's easier for the
builder to start at one end and work their way down.  I also believe
it was not the best location.  Common areas should be at the center.

We also have no TV in the CH, even though our library of videotapes is
there.  :-)  Overall, our "sitting room" with comfy sofas and a fireplace
and a piano seems to get a fair amount of use, but the main room (dining
area with hardwood floor) gets very little outside of meals, meetings,
and planned events.

We're currently working on making other "places" to hang out in, such
as a sitting circle under a shady tree.  All of these so far are done
in temporary ways so we can see if we like them.

        Howard A. Landman
        River Rock Cohousing, Fort Collins CO