Re: Working with developer or using dev. consultants/possible site
From: Sharon Villines (sharonvillinesprodigy.net)
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 07:32:02 -0600 (MDT)
> How long did it take to develop Liberty Village?  Do you think self
> development made it take longer than with a developer?

I've participated in two cohousing formations. One with a developer and one
without. You need a developer. You are embarking on a multi-million dollar
real estate project. You can think "this is about community, not real
estate" all you want but in the end, you have no community without the real
estate. As bad as a developer can be, no developer is worse.

Would you undertake to make a multi-million dollar film on your own? Or a
car? Or a rocket ship?

Knowing how to live in a  house does not mean you know how to get one built.

Even with an active developer our people spent hours and hours of time (and
are still spending it) on design and materials issues, overseeing processes,
etc. Unless you are a developer _and_ have full time to spend on the
project, you need a developer.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org