Icynene insulation - more info
From: Margaret Weatherly (martiewearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:05:02 -0600 (MDT)
I referred the question of retrofitting with Icynene to John who put
mine in, and here is his answer:

Sound reduction and Icynene:
Icynene works on the principal of stopping air movement (sound waves
travel
through air) It is particularly good at reducing and absorbing mid-range
sounds like voices and TV. In the past we have installed Icynene in
crawl
spaces onto the underside of the floor. Tenants immediately noticed a
quieter home. The Icynene was now absorbing the sound that had been
bouncing
around. It is possible to inject Icynene into a wall cavity, and doing
this
will give you greater sound reduction and absorption. Unfortunately
Icynene
and fiberglass don't mix. The fiberglass will cause holes in the Icynene
thus preventing the air sealing and allowing sound to move through.

Icynene and wires and pipes:
Icynene is the consistency of angle food cake. This makes poking holes
at a
later date for running wires relatively easy. There are other foams
called
urethane which are much stiffer, not the case with Icynene. If a hole is
needed to repair a pipe, the hole is easily filled with canned foam.
(like
"great stuff")

For more information please see my web site thermalsealexperts.com or
Icynene.com or call me at 888-661-8757 -- John Husband