Re: Rituals & Ribbons
From: Kay Argyle (argylemines.utah.edu)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 11:53:01 -0700 (MST)
> > If memory serves, someone had the bright idea of playing "Tie a Yellow
> > Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree" on the radio in memory of the US embassy
> > hostages held in Iran in 1980.

The song came out just about the time the Viet Name POWs were coming home
(early 1973).  As I remember, it was used then -- Because the song is about
a prisoner coming home, people tied yellow ribbons on trees to welcome the
POWs home.  Reviving it for the embassy hostages in 1980 kind of solidified
the custom.

Kay