Re: Takoma Village Has a Clean Commonhouse!
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddesshome.com)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:21:05 -0700 (MST)
This problem, the dilemma of how we are/how people see us, is the most
vexing one for me, living in cohousing.

Having lived here for 8 years now, I can look back on myself and see how
much I've grown. After all, I had a long way to go! After I had been here
for awhile, I started to realize that there was a consistency in what people
were percieving about me. It doesn't mean that that is what I meant, or who
I was. So I set about trying to really listen to what people were saying,
and to try to put aside my feelings of hurt when they got in the way of my
understanding, so that I could show people the true me. I have gained some
ability to monitor my behavior, to see myself from other's points of view,
and also to not judge others as harshly as I once did. Too many times I have
judged someone, only to end up doing the exact same thing, or be proven
wrong.

It doesn't mean I'm perfect, of course. I'm much the same person, after all.
But here's the thing that bothers me now: in the same way as in traditional
families, people still think of me as the person who came here 8 years ago.
I realized this when someone at a common meal was joking with me, and
labelled me something (negative) that a new resident said didn't describe me
at all. I was glad to see that my behavior had changed in a positive
direction, but sad that my long-time neighbors had never noticed it. I was
very hurt. In the way that families do, we have pidgeonholed each other in
roles that don't necessarily fit us anymore.

It just occurred to me that this would be a great topic for our yearly "Big
Meeting". I'm on the committee; I'll be talking about this some more with my
fellow committee members.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing