Re: mission statements
From: Mac & Sandy Thomson (ganeshrmi.net)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:06:01 -0700 (MST)
Here's ours from Heartwood:

VISION
02/20/97
To create and live in a community which fosters harmony with each other,
the larger community, and Nature.
VALUES
Honesty and Trust
We act with openness and honesty because of the trust we have in each
other. We have the courage and trust to speak up when we see
contradictions or inconsistencies between our behavior and our stated
values and goals.
Cooperation
Through tolerance, generosity, sharing, and compassion, we live
cooperatively with one another. When appropriate, we place the interests
of the community ahead of our own self interests.
Commitment
Though we know that the path may be rough at times, we are committed to
our Vision for the long haul.
Support
Our community supports friendship and an extended family environment,
thereby creating a sense of belonging. We support the growth of each
other individually and the relationships amongst us. Each of us is
willing to work on our own personal growth so that we can improve those
relationships.
Respect
We respect the freedom of each person to live as he/she chooses, so long
as that doesn't interfere with others in the community to do the same.
We respect personal privacy. We respect diversity in ideology,
spirituality, interests, talents, beliefs, opinions, race, age, income,
and so on. And we welcome expressions of that diversity.
Equality and Fairness
We value every member, including children, equally and treat them with
fairness.
Stewardship
We live gently on the Earth. We are thankful for Nature's resources
being conscious to take good care of them and use them efficiently.
Safety
Our community is a safe place -- emotionally, physically, and
spiritually.
Balance
We maintain balance in our community life: between group and individual;
between building for tomorrow and enjoyment of today; between heart,
mind, and soul; etc.
Responsibility
Each of us, as well as all of us as a community, takes responsibility
for our actions.
Flexibility
Creating community is an ongoing process. We remain flexible to change.

INTERPERSONAL AGREEMENTS
01/07/99
To Communicate With Integrity
I agree to tell my truth, with compassion for myself and others, and to
trust that others are doing the same.
To Listen With My Heart
I agree to listen respectfully to the communications of others and
attune to their deepest meaning.
To Own My Feelings
I agree to take responsibility for my feelings and how I react to the
words and actions of others. And I agree to express those feelings in a
spirit of openness and compassion.
To Honor Each Person's Process
I agree to acknowledge that everyone, including myself, is making the
best possible choice or decision we are capable of at that moment.
To Express Appreciation
I agree to appreciate others and myself.
To Cooperate with Others
I agree to maintain a sense of cooperation and caring in my interactions
with others.
To Honor Our Differences
I understand that goals are often the same even though methods for
achieving them may differ.
To Be Aware of Conflict
I agree to look for the unresolved issues within me that create a
disproportionate adverse reaction to another's behavior.
To Resolve Conflicts Constructively
I agree to take problems and complaints to the person(s) with whom I can
resolve them, at the earliest opportunity. I agree not to criticize or
complain to someone who cannot do something about my complaint, and I
will redirect others to do the same. I will not say behind someone's
back what I am not willing to say to their face.
To Maintain Harmony
I agree to take the time to establish rapport with others and then to
reconnect with anyone with whom I feel out of harmony as soon as it is
appropriate.
To Freely Participate
I agree to freely choose and re-choose to participate in the Heartwood
Cohousing Community. It is my choice.
To Lighten Up!
I agree to allow fun and joy in my relationships, my work, and my life.
(Note: These Interpersonal Agreements are based in large part on those
of Geneva Community.)

           Mac & Sandy Thomson           Heartwood Cohousing
           ganesh [at] rmi.net                Durango, Colorado
        Web Site:   http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

Everything in excess!!  To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites!
Moderation is for monks.
           - Robert Heinlein