Child safety
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:39:02 -0700 (MST)
In the discussion of "personalities within communities" and whether or
not one could count on cohousers to all be positive, sane, cooperative
etc people,
a woman checking out cohousing wrote
>I am a single
>mother with a 6 year old boy so of course, I am more than cautious.

All parents should be reminded that children need to be prepared for the
fact --wherever they live-- that most molestation comes, not from shady
strangers, but from friends and family, babysitters, teachers, clergy,
and others the child has some reason to expect to be able to trust.
Every young child, in every environment, needs to be taught what
behaviors are not ok, and how to cope with stopping stuff, and telling
till someone believes them. There are a lot of good materials out that
give parents tools for straight talk with kids from toddlers on up. My
guess is that a community where people are making conscious choices about
quality of life is apt to be as safe as any place, but inappropriate
overtures to children can and do happen in every sort of environment.

This is borderline off topic, so anyone who wants more info, please
contact me off list.
But as an early childhood educator, I had to respond.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com