Re: Seeing-eye dogs and common house pet policies
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:30:01 -0700 (MST)
> If I can add to the question. Has any community had to face a situation
> where you had a service dog and a dog-allergic member?

I posted a few days ago on our policy and why service animals are different
from other animals. I neglected to say that we have several people with
serious allergies and some with dog allergies in particular. No problems
have occurred.

We have left open the problem of the guest rooms which are carpeted. But
even then a service dog could sleep on a removable mat so as not to
contaminate the room. Service dogs are trained to do this -- other dogs are
usually not dependable enough.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org