Re: Consensus and the Concept of Blocking
From: Martie Weatherly (martiewearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:34:34 -0700 (MST)

I'm sure consensus is a mistake for some groups. But for most cohousing
groups who are committed to forming a community where everyone is
respected and listened to, a voting backup robs them of the opportunity
to discover how to really work together for the good of the group.

At Liberty Village, we are designing a consensus process that includes a
way to keep one person committed to negativity from stopping the action.
We have distinguished certain responsibilities of the blocking person
and of the group. We have certain actions that can be taken to defuse
the situation and give the group time to evaluate the person's concern.
And we have a way the group can move forward if it decides that it is in
the best interest of the group to do so.

This is all done from the context of listening to everyone's concern and
looking at what is best for the good of the group.  Once you have a
process in place that will prevent one person from stopping the action,
you can really learn how to make decisions for the good of the group.
You don't get this if you have a voting backup as a way out.

Martie Weatherly
Liberty Village
Libertytown, MD
martiew [at] earthlink.net