Re: Waiting Lists
From: Kay Argyle (argylemines.utah.edu)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 17:41:01 -0600 (MDT)
> > Anyone moving to Utah?  Four-bedroom townhouse available ...
> Kay, what's the asking price?

I'm not sure.  New it was $185 K.  If interested, contact Donna Abe at
p_abe [at] yahoo.com.

It's not so much the conservatism in Utah as it is that most Utahns don't
need cohousing for community.  (Salt Lake, in any case, has even been known
to elect Democrats -- that's why the legislature just did an awesome job of
gerrymandering, whacking Salt Lake into thirds, to make sure nothing so
unthinkable happened again.  Each district now is a mix of urban and
rural -- as though somebody living in the Avenues in Salt Lake has common
interests with someone in LaVerkin, the "U.N.-Free Zone" of southern Utah.)

Among Utah Mormons (50% of the population in Salt Lake County, 78%
statewide), adult children tend to settle close to home.  Monday night is
"Family Home Evening."  Each household in the ward has two teams of church
members each assigned to visit once a month.  Every adult that can be
persuaded gets assigned a church job -- ward chorister, cub scout master,
Sunday School teacher, ward clerk -- and of course all the home teaching
assignments, the aforementioned visitors.  Sunday is fully booked with three
separate meetings.  The rest of the week there are activities at the
wardhouse -- basketball, banquets, roadshow rehearsals, chorus rehearsals,
and on and on.

The second biggest group in Utah are the Hispanics -- again, very strong
family orientation.

That doesn't leave a large proportion of the population to draw from.

Kay
Wasatch Commons
Salt Lake City, Utah
argyle [at] mines.utah.edu

P.S.  I won't be getting my email for a few weeks -- "see" you all when I
get back.