Re: Keeping Track of Common Meals
From: Jean V Reese (jeanreesejuno.com)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 14:37:46 -0600 (MDT)
We at Westwood Cohousing in Asheville, NC have had common meals work a
couple of different ways, but the way that works best for us is to have
teams of three (used to be teams of six, but we're better at it now) do
everything for one meal and then eat all the other meals for free.  So
the cookteam for the night would post the menu, buy the food, cook, serve
and clean up, and then not have to worry for the rest of the cycle.   The
cycle is based on how many people are signed up to cook/eat.  This
doesn't limit a team who might want to have fish or some other elaborate
meal from doing that -- they set their own budget and split the costs
among the three.  If they want to do really expensive meals, we'll eat
it!  Other teams might want to do beans and rice.  So far, there's not
too many beans and rice meals (although I've cooked a few) because people
want to do a really good job for their common meal.

We've been doing this system for about three years.  We used to have a
person keep track of who ate and charge everyone appropriately, but teams
were always spending beyond the budget, and this also leaves the door
open for other people the cook team may want to invite to eat the meal.
Usually if someone else eats who is not in the cycle, they either pay a
couple of dollars or help clean up.  Usually they help clean up because
it is a lot of work to prepare a meal for a group and the cook team
really wants help by the end of the day.  :)

Jean
Westwood Cohousing