Re: Cars per unit
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:51:01 -0600 (MDT)
One guideline I remember (Florida?) was one parking spot per bedroom. This
makes more sense than "per unit" since square footage is not the issue. It's
the number of adults in the unit, particularly unrelated adults (roommates,
etc.) and the rural or urban nature of the site.

We are urban but many of our people work in  the suburbs and need a car to
get there. I'm not sure that even a carpooling van would work. From DC, the
work locations radiate in all directions.

The general guideline of build for what people do _now_ (not what they
expect or want to do) is really the best, however. Even if people want to
change their lifestyles, it takes time to actually do it. It won't happen on
move in. AND move in is hard enough without expecting everyone to change
their spots (pun intended).overnight.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org