Re: Cars per unit
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:43:04 -0600 (MDT)
on 9/30/2002 7:55 PM, Howard Landman at howard [at] polyamory.org wrote:

> Ditto that from River Rock.  We not only cut down on the number of spaces,
> but also made them narrower than standard.  Easily the single worst blunder
> of the entire project.  We're now getting ready to institute a permit system,
> where each car needs to show a permit to park, and people with garages won't
> be issued permits.  So if I want, e.g., to use my garage as a photo studio
> sometime, I need to beg or borrow a permit from someone else in order to
> park my car in one of our lots, even though I live here and have one of the
> largest units.  I think we're expecting to have perhaps 3 or 4 guest spaces
> total.  You can imagine how far that will go when someone throws a large
> party ... and my 18-year-old daughter is considered a guest under these
> regulations and will need to get a guest permit every night she's here.

One of the advantages of being a city condominium model is that the parking
spots were "sold" with the units -- it is part of our Declaration that one
space is available per unit. The specific space is determined by the
community but that hasn't been a problem -- most don't care and others were
able to be accommodated.

Most people allow their overnight guests to park in their spot and they park
on the street.

During big holidays, people swap spots with each other -- "Who will be out
of town next week so my Mom can park in your space."

In the beginning we were pretty informal about who parked where but that led
to lots of misunderstandings and frustration. It took awhile to convince
some owners that the corridors in the parking lot were fire lanes and their
guests could not just usurp them for personal use. Now people do park in
other people's spaces during the day or on weekends -- whatever, but they
ask first.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org