Affordable housing percentage
From: Bruce Hecht (brucehepeak.org)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 01:32:11 -0600 (MDT)
We have had discussions over the past couple of years with a non-profit
neighborhood housing organization about developing an affordable cohousing
project. Well, things are getting a bit more serious and exciting as a
parcel of land is available they could procure. The costs pencil out below
market on a per lot or unit  basis.  We both agree we would like to do a
mixed income project of affordable and market rate units. In fact it could
be possible to do 50% of the units as affordable (to those from 50-80% of
median income). Any thoughts or experience doing cohousing project with a
high percentage of affordable units? One comment or concern I hear is that
it will be difficult in the future to get the community to do any
improvements to the property as there will be not be a lot of available
income. Any thoughts?

Bruce Hecht
Corvallis, OR