Re: guns and cigarettes
From: Andrew Watkins (aw_chansae.co.uk)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 00:25:02 -0700 (MST)
Thanks for the clarifications

In article
<Pine.LNX.3.96.1021028085219.350A-100000 [at] oberon.technoronin.com>,
matt [at] technoronin.com (Matt Lawrence) wrote:

> I thought certain type of rifles or shotguns were legal there.
various people for whom the gun is a 'tool' e.g farmer/gamekeepers can
keep a gun - under very strict storage and licensing regulations. Recent
tightening of laws amount pretty much to a 100% ban on handguns. However
thats not really the point as there was no tradition of gun ownership
anyway.

> whole "freedom of the press" issue may have been involved.  Quite a
> difference from Great Britain where people have to pay a tax to be
> allowed to watch television.

I'm sure some of your tax also goes towards public service broadcasting
whether you own a tv or not. here at least you can opt out if you choose
not to have a tv. Personally I find £100 a year good value for TV without
advertising and on the whole good quality programmes.

Andrew