Don't discuss this in committees
From: Becky Schaller (bschallertheriver.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:57:02 -0700 (MST)
We recently experienced a very sensitive issue.  Out of respect for those
involved, I won't specifically name or describe the issue.  But it was an
issue which had both a very personal and very community aspect to it.  One
of the parties most involved asked that this issue not be discussed in
committees or at the general meeting.  Because of the nature of the issue,
they were going through a very very difficult time and asked that we not
talk to them about this issue.   Although they seem to love community, under
stress, they felt they really needed their space.

Some people felt that the community needed to respect this persons request.
They were already going through such a very difficult time and community
discussion would only add to their distress.  Others felt like this was a
community issue and we needed to discuss it and deal with it as well as we
could.  This was an issue which was dividing the community into different
camps and needed to be dealt with.

So my question is, Have other communities ever dealt with a similar
situation?  If so, how?

Becky