Re: Underground Parking - Parking Machine
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 15:03:01 -0700 (MST)
Jock Coats <jock.coats [at] oxfordlibdems.org.uk> wrote:
> It sounds really interesting, but the drawing on the website does not
> make it apparent how it works.  E.g it implies that the lift is to one
> end of each storey.  If you are the first car stored in a storey how
> does it get you out first?

It works by shuffling the cars around.  In the US there's been a plastic
puzzle that I sometimes have refered to as a plastic 'Chicklet' game that
had a 2 dimensional array of interlocking plastic pieces (5 x 5 ?) in a
frame. The pieces which resembled Chicklet gum could be moved because one
space was vacant.  A computer game version of the game came on a Macintosh
computer in about 1984... If this makes sense, imagine puttin it on it's
side and making the Chicklets into palets holdong cars.

If that description makes sense, you're probably good at solving
puzzles...  Sorry I cant think of a better way to explain at all briefly.
The computer algorithm to optimally shuffle the pallets must have been a
fun challenge to write.

Certainly the height , looks could be a concern in some areas.
I think it is arguable that it is no less objectionable than
many other (except underground) ways of parking cars.

Fred

--
Fred H. Olson  Minneapolis,MN 55411   (near north Mpls)
fholson [at] cohousing.org 612-588-9532 (7am-10pm Cent time)