RE: Fifty Plus Cohousing
From: Forbes Jan (jan.forbesdhhs.tas.gov.au)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 16:05:01 -0700 (MST)
G'day Liz

It would be interesting to examine the reasons why some older people express
a preference for 'seniors only' cohousing.  There may be some real
disincentives to age-integrated living that need to be addressed in order
for older people to want to live with younger age groups.

In one Danish study of older people living in communes, age discrimination
and the need and desire to feel accepted and wanted were importanct factors
in choosing segregated living.

So rather than starting to point the finger, perhaps people could try to
look at themselves more and at what they might be doing to maybe cause older
people to feel devalued, excluded and/or disadvantaged in age-integrated
communities.

Or it may just be a matter of dispelling myths and unrealistic fears.  Who
knows?  An interesting subject that is worthy of further investigation.

Jan