Re: Re: Dishwashers
From: Joani Blank (joaniswansway.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:35:02 -0700 (MST)

At 08:41 AM 3/4/2003, you wrote:

We have 40 households and a commercial dishwasher.  If we had two slower
home-type dishwashers, the dishes would take a very long time to finish.

Actually it would take a lot LESS time Instead of one or two people hauling the single racks in and out of the commercial dishwasher for 20 to 30 minutes after every meal and putting the dishes away on shelves, with two residential dishwashers, you just load the dishes in as people leave the dining room (in our community, people usually lightly scrape their own dishes and put them in the dishwasher, and the cooks/cleaners put in the straggling dishes that remain), turn on the dishwashers and leave the kitchen. The clean dishes stay in the dishwasher until the next common dinner when the tables are set right from the dishwasher. So the time it takes to "do the dishes" is as long as it takes to put detergent in the dishwasher and push the "on" button, and that ain't a long time!

Now if you typically have a really big crowd for dinner, like 75 people, you may well have to stack the dishes for a second batch, in at least one dishwasher. But emptying the dishwasher and loading it up a second time couldn't take more than 5 minutes, and if one load can be started early which it can be because high end residential dishwashers are not noisy, the cleanup person is usually still around after the first batch has been run.

Of course, no matter what kind of dishwasher (s) you have, there are pots and pans and other cleanup to do after a meal. On the issue of sterilization, all modern dishwashers have heat boosters and the water is hot enough to kill anything. Also, virtually all bad bugs need moisture to survive, and having been washed in very hot water, the dishes get bone dry very fast and stay that way for at least 24 hours in the close to sterile inside of the dishwasher.

Joani